DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF FEE CLEARANCE INFORMATION SYSTEM/SOFTWARE
(A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU STATE
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION)
The project work presents a design of a fee clearance information system/software for bursary department ESCET administration, is concerned with the computerization of personal records of all departmental fees in order to achieve the aims and objectives of the organization. The entrance of computer into the departmental fee clearance system for bursary department (ESCET) administration will help create and maintain efficient records. The design was implemented to facilitate the personnel information system for bursary department (ESCET) administration. It will be less time wasting and cheap to run.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Approval page ii
Table of content vi
1.1 Introduction 1
1.2 Statement of Problem 3
1.3 Purpose of Study 4
1.4 Aims/Objective 4
1.5 Scope of Study 6
1.6 Limitation of Study 6
1.7 Assumption of Study 7
1.8 Definition of Terms 7
Literature Review 10
CHAPTER THREE: Description and Analysis of
the Existing System 14
3.1 Fact Finding Method Used 15
3.2 Objectives of the Existing System 15
3.3 Input Analysis 16
3.4 Output Analysis 17
3.5 Process Analysis 17
3.6 Problems of the Existing System 17
3.7 Justification for New System 18
CHAPTER FOUR: Design of the New System 19
4.1 Output Specification and Design 19
4.2 Input Specification and Design 19
4.3 File Design 22
4.4 Procedure Chart 24
4.5 System Flow Chart 25
4.6 System Requirement 26
4.7 Hard Requirement 26
CHAPTER FIVE: Implementation of the new system27
5.1 Program Flow Chart 28
5.2 Choice of Program Language 33
5.3 Test Data 33
5.4 Sample Report 33
CHAPTER SIX: Documentation 34
6.1 System Documentation 34
6.2 Program Documentation 34
6.3 User Documentation 35
CHAPTER SEVEN: Summary 36
7.1 Conclusions 36
7.2 Recommendation 37
Many organization uses computerized information system to keep their data/information. There is an urgent need to document every information of an organization for the decision making in such organization.
Fee clearance information system/software is used mainly in higher institute of learning to track the record of students data/information need to be change to the electronic format of processing.
Bursary department in every institution is highly and need to be taken care of. This department deal with students figures in terms of payment and therefore need to be well documented. Figures can be easily manipulated and incorrectly represented which call for immediate attention when dealing with such information.
Because of the manual approach used in bursary department, a lot of students’ records are mismanaged. The institute also has suffered a lot of bruises like improper calculation of student departmental fees, embezzlement of the institute money by some bursary staff and some student claiming that they have paid.
Fee clearance information system/software, FCIS is well automated system. Fee clearance information system/software makes the staffs of bursary department of any institution to be accountable to the management. The management uses fee clearance information system/software, FCIS as effective tool in keeping all the students records as pertaining their payment. The management uses fee clearance information system/software; FCIS to know the entire student that have made their payment and those owing them. It is used as a effective tool to calculate all the student payment and document such report.
Another important aspect of fee clearance information system/software, FCIS is that it is used as effective tool during student’s clearance. Being automated system, the student’s record will be easily retrieve to check his/her payment status. Before now, the student’s payment record must have been recorded in the system by the computer operator in the bursary department. Once a student’s record is brought out the payment status will show. If the student is owing any department fee, the fee clearance information system/software, FCIS will indicate it and vice verse.
1.1 Statement of Problem
(i) The difficulties people face in keeping information/data.
(ii) Unwillingness attitude of some staff when dealing with data/information.
(iii) Fragile nature of information/data.
(iv) Difficulties people encountered when searching for a given information.
(v) Time wasted in searching for information on packed files.
(vi) Time wasted in sorting files
(vii) Important nature of data/information in the growth of any organization.
The need arise for the development of fee clearance information system/software bursary department, for a higher institution.
1.2 Purpose of Study
The main purpose of this study is to put to an end the difficulties people encountered during storage of data/information. This is actualized by designing fee clearance information system/software bursary department, which is user friendly and interactive. By the time this software is designed and implemented, the difficulties encountered with manual method of keeping information will be eliminated.
1.3 Aims or Objectives
The aims and objectives of this project are listed below:
· To develop software called fee clearance information system/software that will replace the manual method of storage.
· To stop or eliminate the difficulties people face with manual method of storage.
· To demonstrate increased motivation to the bursary workers.
· To easy the work associated with manual method.
· To eliminate the error involved with the manual storage of data/information.
· To save the time wasted when searching or sorting for a given data/information.
· To remove untidy nature of most offices because of huge number of files scattered all over.
· To make higher institution a computerized one.
All these contributed to show that personnel office is now been influence by information technology.
1.4 Scope of Study
This project work is narrowed to fee clearance information system/software bursary department, ESCET. It deals with the development of personnel management information system to help in the storage of data/information in the Enugu State College of Education Technical bursary office.
It stores all registration, departmental fee and individual information.
1.5 Limitation of Study
Owing to the scope of this project work as stated above, this project work is limited in a fee clearance information system/software bursary department (ESCET).
It is important to mention here that time was a major constraint in the course of fact finding. It is also wise to mention here that some information we need to work with was not collected because of the unwillingness of the staff to review such information.
1.6 Assumption Study
One of the major assumptions made in this project work is that manual method of storage are ineffective, time wasting, prone to error and high level of energy dissipation.
It is also assumed that with the level of development in information technology, there is a serious demand to join this trend of information technology.
It is also assumed that fee clearance information system/software motivate the staffs to work more with easy and enhance their work.
1.7 Definition of Terms
2. Department fee
4. Client: This may process that request specific services from several processes.
5. Computer: This is an electrons machine that can accept; handle and manipulate data by performing arithmetic and logic operations without human intervention usually under the control of programmes.
6. Date: This is fore runner of information. It is unprocessed fact.
7. Database is a collection of information that is related to a particular subject or purpose.
8. Hardware: This is the electromechanical part of computer system.
9. Information: This is data that have been processed, interpreted and understood by the recipient of the message or report.
10. Internet: Is a collection of computer networks that operate to common standards and enable the computers and the prog re-ram they run to communicate directly.
11. Server: This is a process that provides requested services for clients.
12. Software: This is a logically written program that hardware uses to prefer its operation.
13. System: Is the collection of hardware, software, data information, procedures and people.
14. Website: Is a space or location customized by a company, organization or an individual which is locatable within an address on the internet