THE PROBLEMS OF HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION IN HIGHER INSTITUTION
(A CASE STUDY OF IMT, ENUGU STATE)
1.1 GENERAL BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
A hostel by definition is a building in which cheap food and lodging and provided for students but unfortunately in festivity institution in Nigeria. The research on this issue this research, though on higher institutions, has a special reference on the institutions, has a special references on the institute of management and technology (IMT) Enugu. It has been established that the inadequacy of hostel accommodation as an adverse effect on the actualization of qualitative and standard education in Nigeria Universities and Polytechnic, that is why we have taken it upon ourselves to find out the lapses and problems that has hevalded to this problems of inadequate accommodation.
Moreso, there are other problems which prompted us to research on the topic this includes –
1. Students involvement in armed robbery
2. Students involvement in armed prostitution
3. High rate of disobedience by student as a result of not living in an academic environment.
4. In IMT for instance, students go about looking for accommodation while there are vacancy rooms in the hostel which are wasting.
1.3 PROBLEMS THAT THE STUDY WILL BE CONCERNED WITH
This study will be concerned with the problems posed by poor hostel accommodation, as if affects the analytic of education in higher institution with particular reference to the institute of management and technology (IMT) Enugu and these are as follows: -
1. The students lack concentration on studies as a result of deprivation of privacy.
2. Students pay less attention to studies and spend much of their time trying to make money, as the money they have, has bee spent on transportation.
3. Cultism is about to take over the academic activities that are supposed to be going on in the school, as most of students vow stay off campus now mix with undersirable elements and this get involved in corrupt practice.
4. The dual campus system, makes the students to be worn out before reaching their lecture base.
5. Administrative lapse has hindered the implementation of policies that could enhance the quality of life of the students in the hostels.
6. The fact that apart from the hostel fee, student who stay in the hostels spend a lot of money on feeding and acquisition of other recreational facilities.
7. Student say they bribe officials before rooms be allocate to them.
8. Why school authorities fail to provide accommodation for students, lest alone saying that it is inadequate.
9. The last but not the least here is for us to find out, what the management is doing about the insufficient rooms of accommodation in IMT for instance a some of the rooms that that were meant to accommodate student are now being used as offices.
Above all is that this problem of inadequate infrastructure, posed by over population of student end staff will lead to great fall in academic, if not checked.
1.2 PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH SUBJECT MATTER
The problems associated with this subject matter includes that students in higher institutions are being deprived of their sociological and needs as a result of poor hostel accommodation includes, the students privacy the fact that up to seven (7) students can stay in a room impacts some psychological pains on the students as privacy is to a large extent.
Further more, the academic pursuit of the students has being hindered is the students now payless attention to studies. In IMT for instance, the institution has two campus and some of the students who stay in campus two now have to risk their lives in transporting themselves to the other campus, not only that the students spend a lot of money in transportation and education the understanding which the students are supposed to gain on the part of the school itself, some of the rooms which the students are supposed to gain on the part of the school itself, some of the rooms which were made to accommodate students and being used as offices for the staff in the institutes. Some of the rooms are vacancy and this being wasted because of poor management. All this adversed affect the students academic pursuit.
1.3 THE IMPORTANCE OF THE STUDY
This study when concluded, will serve as an eye opener to the students, staff and management of IMT in particular, because we will try hard to up root the problems and why the problems of inadequate accommodation is rampart in Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics and suggest possible way to tackle the problems.