THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS MANAGING SMALL-SCALE MANUFACTURING ENTERPRISE IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ALLIWA SACHET WATER ACHARA LAYOUT ENUGU)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Approval Page ii
Table of Contents v
List of Tables ix
1.1 Background of the Study 1
1.2 Statement of the Problem 3
1.3 The purpose of the Study 4
1.4 Scope of the study 5
1.5 Research Question 5
1.6 Significance of Study 6
LITERATURE REVIEW 8
2.1 Concept of Small Scale Business 8
2.2 Concept of Small Scale manufacturing Enterprise 15
2.3 Problems of Managing Small-Scale
Manufacturing Enterprise. 16
2.4 Prospects of Managing Small-scale
Manufacturing Enterprise 28
2.5 Industrial Background of Alliwa Sachet
Water Achara Layout Enugu. 33
2.6 Purification of water 35
2.7 Summary of the Related Review Literature. 36
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 37
3.1 Research Design 37
3.2 Area for the Study 37
3.3 Population for the Study 38
3.4 Sample and Sampling Procedure 38
3.5 Instrument for Data Collection 39
3.6 Validation of instrument 39
3.7 Reliability of the Instrument 39
3.8 Method of Data Collection 40
3.9 Method of Data Analysis 40
4.0 Date Presentation and Results
Summary of Results/ Findings 41
4.1 Problems of managing small-scale
manufacturing enterprises 41
4.2 The prospects of managing small-scale
manufacturing enterprises 53
4.3 Summary of findings 60
DISCUSSION OF RESULTS 62
5.1 Discussion of Results 62
5.2 Conclusions 62
5.3 Implications of the Research Results 63
5.4 Recommendations 63
5.5 Suggestion for Further Research 64
5.6 Limitation of the Study 64
LIST OF TABLES
Table 1 Respondents Response on the lack of Awareness of Government Aids To small-scale manufacturing Enterprise.
Table 2 Respondents Response on lack or poor state of infrastructural facilities.
Table 3 Respondents Response on lack of Gods workshops.
Table 4 Respondents Response on lack of patronage from large scale manufacturers.
Table 5 Respondents Response on FAULTY Plans.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In Nigeria, there are manufacturing firms that manage to manufacture on small-scale basis. The manufacturing enterprises make such local consumable as garri pomade, detergents, sachet water, foot wears, garment, corn flour, cassava flour, and pastries including bread, cake, meat pie, fish roll, toast etc other relevant manufactured products include furniture items cement blocks and so on. It has however been observed that the quantity and quality of the products are to in-adequate to satisfy the needs and demands of consumers.
The terrible state of inadequacy of manufactured products has been attributed to certain problems which militate against the effective and efficient management of the small-scale manufacturing enterprises. The constraints have become frustrating and resistant. Consequently, fear is being entertained that small-scale manufacturing a firms in Nigeria may lack chances of success, growth, and diversification. Despite the ugly situation all hopes are not lost for the small-scale manufactures in Nigeria. Solutions can be found in the accurate identification, presentation and analysis of the problems and prospects of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria. The researcher id determined to provide the said solutions.
Some of the Problems Includes:-
1. Lack of infrastructural facilities such as good road, pip-borne water, telecommunication services, electric power and industrial estate.
2. Inadequate funding
3. Scarcity of technical man-power
4. Ignorance of available incentives provided by government and other agencies.
5. Lack of well-equipped maintenance workshops.
6. Frequent changes in government policies by successive administrations.
7. High cost of and difficulty in, obtaining needed raw materials, and so on.
In the face of the problems of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria, it can be convincingly shown that small-scale manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria have hope of chances of surviving and performing even much better.
The chances or prospects comprises
1. Creation or awareness about available incentives provided by the government.
2. Recent rehabilitation of vital and basic infrastructural facilities like roads and electric power supply.
3. Family ties and patriotism
4. Availability of market for manufactured goods.
5. Small initial capital which one or two investors can provide.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
This research work will dwell on the problems and prospects of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprise in Nigeria.
The sub research problem include the concept of small-scale business, the concept of small-scale manufacturing enterprises the historical development of manufacturing in Nigeria.
Other components of the problems are problems of small-scale manufacturing enterprise in Nigeria, the prospects of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprise in Nigeria and the industrial background of Ariwa sachet water Achara Layout.
1.3 THE PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
1. To clearly define and describe small-scale business.
2. To clearly define and describe small-scale manufacturing enterprises.
3. To present the problems of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria.
4. To present the prospects of managing small scale manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria.
5. To determine the relationship between the problems and prospects of managing small-scale manufacturing enterprise in Nigeria.