LEARNER CENTERED EDUCATION AS A PANACEA TO POOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT
This study looked into the problems facing the Nigerian education system. These problems are also the causes of poor performances among students in Nigeria. Some of the causes of poor performances among students includes; lack of qualified teachers, poor attitude of the government and influential people towards secondary school education, lack of empowerment and motivation for students and teachers, faulty curriculum, poor administration and many other factors. The overall effect of poor teaching methodology is poor career development among our youths which has cased unemployment, youth restiveness and violence in our society. Having highlighted the causes of poor performances among students, the researcher proffered better solutions to solve these problems confronting Nigerian educational system and the chief solution is an educative approach that is learner centered which helps children to be self empowered and self actualized.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.0 Introduction 1
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem. 2
1.3 Research questions 3
1.4 Aims of the study 3
1.5 Significance of the study 4
1.6 The target audience 5
2.0 REVIEW OF LITERATURE 7
2.1 The role of the teacher in learner centred education 7
3.0 Expose of the problem 18
3.1 Effect of poor career development 18
3.2 Causes of poor career development in Nigeria 27
3.3 Unemployment, ridicule to any nation 35
4.0 Implication of the study 46
4.1 The exposition of learner/student centered method of education 46
4.2 Comparison of pedagogy and andragogy 51
5.0 Conclusion, recommendations and suggestions conclusion 54
5.1 Main finding of the study 54
5.2 Implication of the findings 55
5.3 Recommendations: 56
5.4 Limitations of the study 57
5.4 Suggestions for further studies 57
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The learner centred method of education is child- centered method, that emphasizes experiences and knowledge. The focal point of activity in this method of education is the child. The Andragogist is like a mid- wife who helps the expectant mother and the unborn baby to ensure and achieve safe delivery. The mid-wife will do everything within her limit to assist the pregnant woman but could not assume the position of the woman nor take her place, she will advise, encourage and motivate her into action but cannot do the action by herself. She could protect the privacy of the woman. to make her comfortable and shy free to open up herself for the task before them. She can prevent men from entering into the maternity room where the delivery takes place.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM.
1. Nigeria's education· curriculum negates and neglects those for whom it was meant to serve.
2. Nigeria's educational system is pedagogical by design and dysfunctional in practice.
3. Nigeria's educational system suffers functional stagnation.
4. There is an overwhelming evidence of lowering of standards
5. That .majority of Nigerian students now resort to examination malpractices and other forms of ethical practices in order to pass examinations.
6. The litany of frustrations faced by the young school leavers in Nigeria are seen through the activities they engage in as soon as they left school.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. In view of the conventionality of pedagogical method of education in Nigeria, How far is the learner centred education method known in Nigeria?
2. Is the educational method in practice mandatory or optional?
3. Which among the two educational slants stands to benefit the people more?
4. Which of the two will enhance teaching / learning programmes?
5. What advantages do learner centred education has over pedagogy and vice versa considering the cost effectiveness and intensiveness of the two in terms of time, money, and space?
1.4 AIMS OF THE STUDY
1. This research work hopes to look into the causes of academic backwardness of students.
2. Itwill look into the problems of education in the Nigeria.
3. Itwill do al1 analytical study of pedagogical and andragogical methods of education in Nigeria.
4. Itwill compare and contrast the two methods with a view to making recommendations for solutions to the problems.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The importance of this research work cannot be overemphasized because it will help to address the following educational problems.
1. It will address the problem of lack of interest on the part of students and high rate of school dropout.
2. It will address the problems associated with teacher-centeredness as is evident in our education curriculum.
3. It will address the problem of over-reliance on conventionality and tradition in our educational system.
4. It will address the problem of lack of motivation for the students and teachers in our schools.
5. It will expose the problems associated with pedagogical method of education.
6. It will help to open the eyes of our people to know about other alternative to teaching / learning procedure.
The study will expose Nigerians to the gains of Andragogical community of inquiry method of education.