THE IMPACT OF INTER-GOVERNMENT RELATIONS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS IN IMO STATE
(A CASE STUDY OF IDEATO NORTH AND IDEATO SOUTH L.G.A IMO STATE.)
This project topic “The impact of inter-governmental relation in the development of local government areas in Imo State. A case study of ideato north and ideato south L.G.A Imo State” Rural communities constitute a large landscape in Imo State and has been divide into local government areas. So this research work is on the relationship between the three tiers of government, the need for the process of the inter-governmental relations. It also point out the developmental effect of Ideato North and South Local government and other tiers of government. The institution of inter-governmental relation and how the federal and state government have assisted in the development of local government mainly ideato North and south.
The historical aspect of ideato North and South Local government were available, all the data got, generated and analyzed was used for the development of the rural areas, some suggestions was put in place for the better of the local government (three tiers), since the local government of Ideato North and South, with other levels of government, State, Federal cannot stay in isolation, so there is a need for interaction between the local, state and federal government.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page - - - - - - - - i
Approval page - - - - - - - - ii
Dedication - - - - - - - - iii
Acknowledgment - - - - - - - iv
Abstract - - - - - - - - - v
1.0 Introduction - - - - - - - 1
1.1 Background of the study - - - - - 2
1.2 Statement of the problem - - - - - 5
1.3 Objectives of the study - - - - - 6
1.4 Research questions - - - - - - 7
1.5 Statement of hypothesis - - - - - 8
1.6 Significant of study - - - - - - 9
1.7 Scope of study - - - - - - - 10
1.8 Limitation of the study - - - - - 11
1.9 Definition of terms - - - - - - 12
2.0 Literature review - - - - - - 14
2.1 Introduction - - - - - - - 14
2.2 The background of Ideato North and south - - 18
2.3 The relation of the federal, state and local
Government - - - - - - - - 21
2.4 Problems of inter-governmental relationship - 34
2.5 The development effect of the local government
and others - - - - - - - 38
References - - - - - - - - 43
3.1 Introduction - - - - - - - - 46
3.0 Research design and methodology - - - 47
3.2 Research design - - - - - - 47
3.3 Methods of data collection - - - - - 48
3.4 Population and sampling size - - - - 48
3.5 Sampling technique - - - - - - 49
3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring
Instrument - - - - - - - - 49
3.7 Method of data analysis - - - - - 50
4.0 presentation and analysis of data - - - 52
4.1 introduction - - - - - - - 52
4.2 Presentation of data - - - - - - 53
4.3 Analysis of data - - - - - - 53
4.4 Test of hypothesis - - - - - - 58
4.5 Interpretation of results - - - - - 59 References
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendations - 63
5.1 Introduction - - - - - - - 63
5.2 Summary of findings - - - - - - 63
5.3 Conclusion - - - - - - - 65
5.4 Recommendations - - - - - - 66
Questionnaire - - - - - - - - 67
References - - - - - - - - 76
The wake for inter-governmental relation came up following the need for decentralization of government, power as a means of creating an enabling environment for wide spread developmental activities all over the country and the nation at large. Nigerian federalism has three levels of government. The federal government, the state government and the local government, this levels are what we refers as the three tiers of government.
This three-tiers of government exist mostly in a federal state, this explains the structural arrangement provision with reference to federal Republic of Nigeria Constitution whereby the country under federal system of government has three levels of government. This arrangement is made for the administrative freedom of operation at each level, so each tiers has its areas of jurisdictions and functions. At the same time each interacts with one another for accomplishment of its duties.
Government here is like a living organism, it is composed of various parts and each of these parts interacts among themselves so as to keep the system functioning at all times.
Inter-governmental relation is defined as the different levels of government within a given state.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Before reform 1976 when local government creation, finance and administration were under the beck and call of the state government, the local government system after 1976 reform became a constitutional subject by embodying the 301 local governments area of which some selected local government was among then. In 1976 the orlu North East county council made up of Nwabosi, Mbanasa and Arondizuogu was merged to create Ideato Local Government Area with its headquarters at urualla.
The living conditions of Nigeria in most rural communities of the federation are quite unpleasant resulting in massive rural- urban drift. Most of such areas have roads that are not motorable often neglected and poorly maintained, medical and healthcare facilities are grossly inadequate, in most rural communities enclaves and absences in some of them. In most Ideato North and south local government area there is poor electricity supply.
The process of inter-governmental relation is no longer new to us as a nation which is facing new challenges that threaten to redefine its status. Inter-governmental relation process in the federal is basically relations spanning politically, administratively and economically co-operation between the tiers of government with the objectives of enhancing better administration of the apparatus. Local government generally in Ideato North and south regarded as a powerful instrument for rural development, the function which are generally allocated to local government are those which are designed to provide services of socio-economic and political development of the rural enclaves with the local government area. (Ogunna 1996:58) seeing the complexities of government functions and the tiers system of government practices, have evolve to primarily ensure the provision of basic services as best and efficiently as the government can manage such.
Many people of various communities in Nigeria are victim of illiteracy, political ignorance and political apathy, this leads to rural poverty. Rural development as a process could effectively tackle these problems if well programmed and planned, progressive improvement of the economic, political, social and cultural condition of communities through the combined efforts of government and the people of the communities. There lies the challenges of inter-governmental relations purpose, in different tiers of government, different jurisdiction yet harmonized to less friction and the maximization of social, economic and political benefit to the citizen. Therefore the local government election has been the affairs of local, sate and federal government was handled by national electoral commission which was a federal government agency, which also undertook the conduct of local government in 1979.
The local government service commission is vested with the responsibility to appoint, train, promote, discipline and transfer of staff in the local government. But inter-governmental relationship has this problem of revenue allocation which exclusively preserver of the federal government.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
The problems facing local government and national development as well as inter-governmental relation in Nigerian has gained a very serious attention and widest publicity. One if its major problems are:-
- Inadequate funding and lack of proper financial management. The cash basis of local government has the negative effect of causing errors which might be intentional and difficult to discern.
- Insecurity of assets, poor internal control and also the limitation of business operator are also problems being evicted. The attitude of tax collectors which is the way of raisin money to the state by the local government short fall of expectation.
- Problem of fraudulence and embezzlement.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
These are the objective of this study
- To asses the working efficiency and performance appraisal of Ideato North and south local government.
- To examine the available human material and financial resources in Ideato North and south local government.
- To examine the essence of revenue allocation which will enable Ideato North and south local government to embark on their developmental project.
- To ascertain rapid economic development in Ideato north and south local government area.
- To examine the web of complex and inter-dependence among the federal state and Ideato North and south local government in Imo State.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Seeing the nature of relationship that exist among the level of government and the type of problems associated with Ideato north and south local government area that certain research questions arises they includes:-
- How important is revenue allocation in the federal, state and local government for the development of project.
- In the working efficiency and performance appraisal in Ideato North and south local government to what extents for local government appraised their staffs.
- Do you think that it is important to examine the available human, material and financial resources in Ideato North and Ideato south local government.
- Do you think that they should ascertain rapid economic development in Ideato North and south local government.
- Do you thing that is important to examine the web of complex pattern of interaction and co-operation among the federal, state and Ideato North and south local government in Imo State.
1.5 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
H0: Null Hypothesis
H1: Alternative Hypothesis
H0: - There is a relationship between the joint account system operated by Ideato north and south local government and Imo State government and the poor level of development in ideato North and south local government area.
H1:- There is no relationship between the joint account system operated by Ideato North and south local government and Imo State government and the poor level of development in ideato North and south local government area.
H0:- The process of inter-governmental relationship minimizes inter-governmental conflict among the various levels of government.
H1:- The process of inter-governmental relationship does not minimize inter-governmental conflict among the various levels of government.
I.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It is hope that the outcome of this study will provide research based on inter-governmental relation and local government that could be used by the future researchers, in the organization, Administrators and other people who will need it for research purpose.
This research work will accelerate the achievement of self-reliance, economy by equipping them with the necessary tools in their to actualize their self help project for instance, the application of 50-50 matching grant policy. Inter- governmental relation will also help to facilitate the participation of democratic government at the local government area e.g. in Ideato North and south local government.
Also the importance of this work to the government is that it will help to bring government closer to the people in the rural and urban area as well as sensitizing them on policies and programmes of the federal government. It will as well ensure effective and efficient utilization of available human and material resources among the three tiers of government in which Ideato North and south local government happens to be one.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
In the scope of this work the impact of inter-governmental relations in the development of local government areas in Nigeria. (A case study of ideato north and south local government. Intergovernmental relation is seeing as the interaction among different levels exercise power through representative council established by law to exercise specific power within a defined area.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The limitation of this study is based on:-
1) Information:- that is the reluctance of the respondents to answer the questions as desired by the researcher. That is uncooperative character of the staffs of the local government.
2) Finance:- Due to lack of financial problem the researcher not able to have access to all the facts and materials needed to carry out an exhaustive research on this topic.
3) Time:- Time is another limitation because due to time factor, the researcher could not lay hand on other vital information needed for the project.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The definition of terms is based on the words used in these research work.
- Inter-governmental relation: It is the series of legal political and administrative relationship established among units of government which poses degrees of authority and jurisdictional autonomy.
- Local Government:- It is seeing as a government at the local level which exercised power through the representative council established by law to exercise specific power within a define area.
- Development:- It is see as that which leads to a sustainable change along a trajectory leading to growth
- Government:- It is see as a group of people who are responsible for controlling a country or state.
- Grassroot:- It is seen as an ordinary people in the society or in an organization rather than the leader or people who make decisions.