THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF INSURANCE IN THE SPORTS SECTOR OF NIGERIA
In this research work titled ‘The contributions of insurance in the sports sector of Nigeria. The researcher investigated why Nigerian sports sector do not embraces insurance protection. Investigated the factors militating against the insurance industry not to create adequate awareness about sports insurance protection. The information for the study was collected using primary and secondary methods of data collection. For a primary data collection, while existing literature relevant to the topic was consulted for the secondary data. The research used chi-square statistical model to analyze the data. four major findings were made, based on the findings the recommendations proffered are; Nigerian sports sector should be educated on the benefit of insurance policies to enable them embrace insurance protection. Nigerian insurance industry should try as much as possible to settle claim, for the public not to see them as fraudsters.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Approval page ii
Table of contents vii
1.1 Background of the Study 1
1.2 Statement of the Problem 3
1.3 Objective of the Study 6
1.4 Research Questions 7
1.5 Research Hypotheses 8
1.6 Significance of the Study 9
1.7 Scope and Limitations of the Study 9
1.8 Definition of the Terms 10
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURES
2.1 An overview 14
2.2 History Insurance In Nigerian Sports Sector 14
2.3 Historical Development of Nigerian Sport Sector 16
2.4 The Development of Insurance in Nigerian Sports Sector 27
2.5 Role of sports in the development of Nigerian
2.6 Sports Administration and Insurance in Nigerian 34
2.7 Analysis of Nigerian sports policies and its impact on Nigerian sports 38
2.8 The Challenges of Insurance in Nigerian Sports Sector 44
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY AND DESIGN
3.1 An Overview 49
3.2 Source of Data 49
3.2.1 Primary data 50
3.2.2 Secondary data 50
3.3 Population of the Study 51
3.4 Sample size and Sampling Techniques 52
3.5 Validity and Reliability of the Instrument 55
3.6 Method of data Presentation and Analysis 56
DATA PRESENTATION ANALYSIS, DISCUSSION OF FINDING
4.1 An overview 59
4.2 Data presentation 60
4.3 Data Analysis 61
4.4 Testing of Hypothesis 71
4.5 Discussion of Findings 78
5.1 Summary of Findings 80
5.2 Conclusions 81
5.3 Recommendations 82
5.4 Suggestions for Further Studies 86
Sample questionnaire 91
1.1 Background of the Study
Nigerian insurance industry has been in a great trend of improvement from the pre-consolidation to the post consideration ear. They are smarting from the wealth sport industry from the recapitalization and expanding globally to compete internation communities. They are currently participating in the local content initiative of out and gas business energy insurance marine and aviation and other transportational and logistic risks. Hence, Nigerian supporting industry is an area that have not actually benefited from the activities of insurance since insurance has been defined as a social security welfare, it will help the participants to boast their confidence in participating in sports without fear. Nigeria is not only seen as a leading country in Africa in the field of sports but also a world achiever in the field such as world cup of various categories is over emphasized.
because he scored four goals in match.the family comprehensively recovered by way of insurance protection which is not obtainable in Africa setting Ukpai (2004) advocated that insurance in sports will create confidence, provides for retirement protection, protects various elements of disability and equally improves an economy. Mordi (1988) Opined that a country with adequate insurance protection is a sick country and s healthy country is a wealthy nation. Based on this maximum it is plausible that we evaluate the contributions of insurance business in the development of sporting sector in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement of problems
Based on the nature of sporting activities in Nigeria and their inherent, The followings are the identified statement of problems;
1. Studies has shown that Nigerian sports sector do not embraces insurance protection.
2. Lack of awareness has been one of the challenges faced by insurance industry.
3. Another major challenge facing Nigerian insurance industry is nonpayment of claims which results to loss of image and confidence in insurance contract by the sports sector.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The aim of this research work is to evaluate the contributions of insurance in the sports sector in Nigeria. The specific objectives of this research work includes the following;
1. To investigate why Nigerian sports sector do not embraces insurance protection.
2. To investigate the factors militating against the insurance industry not to create adequate awareness about sports insurance protection.
3. To know why insurance industry do not pay claims immediately which results to loss of image and confidence in the sports sector.
1.4 Research Questions
The researcher developed the following research questions
1. Why are the Nigerian sports sector not embraces insurance protection?
2. What are the factors militating against the insurance industry in terms of creating awareness about sports insurance protection?
3. Why do insurance industry not pay claims immediately which results to loss of image and confidence in the sports sector.
1.5 Research Hypotheses
Based on the above research objectives and questions, the researcher formulated the following research hypotheses;
Ho: Nigerian sports sector do not embrace insurance protection.
H1: Nigerian sports sector embraces insurance protection.
Ho: Nigerian Insurance industry do not create adequate awareness about sports insurance protection.
H1: Nigerian Insurance industry creates adequate awareness about sports insurance protection.
Ho: Nonpayment of claims immediately by the insurance industry does not results to loss of image and confidence in the sports sector.
H1: Nonpayment of claims immediately by the insurance industry results to loss of image and confidence in the sports sector.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
Scope of the Study
This research work will focus on the contributions of insurance in the sports sector in Nigeria. The area of this research work is Nigerian football association Enugu state chapter.
The researcher in carrying out this study encountered numerous problems which includes:
· Lack of Research materials
The researcher did not have enough money to visit the company as money times as many times as required data adequately.
The time allotted for the work was not enough. This is because I had to share the time with other academic works of the semesters. This made her unable to cover a lot of interesting areas but therefore limited her research work only at Enugu metropolis.
Lack of research materials was also one of the problems faced by the researcher in the cause of this research work.
1.7 Definition of operation Terms
1) Insurance: Insurance is an agreement with a company in which you pay them regular amount of money and they agree to pay the costs.
2) Insurance industry: Insurance industry is the equitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another in exchange for payment. It is a form of risk management primarily used to hedge against the risk of a contingent and uncertain loss.
3) Insurer: Insurer is a person or company that provides people insurance.
4) Insured: Insured is the person who made an arrangement with an insurance company and who receives money if for example, they are all/sick or if they lose or damage something.
5) Compensation: Compensation, something typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss, injury or suffering.
6) Sporting: Sporting is connected with or interested in sports fair and generous in one’s behavior or treatment of others, especially in a game or contest.
7) Contract: An agreement with specific terms between two or more persons or entities in which there is a promise to do something in return for a valuable benefits known as consideration.
8) Risk: Risk is the possibility of something b ad happening at sometime s in the future. a situation that could b e dangerous or have a bad result.
9) Participants: A person who is taking part in an activity or event e.g. he has been an active participant in the discussion.
10) Sum Insured: The sum insured is the maximum amount the insurance company will pay in the event of a claim.