THE EVALUATION OF THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IN SOLVING HOUSING PROBLEM IN AWKA-SOUTH LGA OF ANAMBRA STATE
This work is about an evaluation of the role of government in solving housing problems in Anambra state. For many years housing has not receive its deserved attention in this country. Particularly Anambra state due to it popular demand and population it is hoped however that my findings would be of immense interest to the government. The report will form a good reference point of future scholars and government who may wish to conduct similar studies. I have always had this long desire to study to determine the evaluation of the role of government in solving housing problems in Anambra state.
Social scientists are yet to agree on which of the three basic needs of non-shelter, food and clothing which one comes first.
What is beyond debate is the fact that it takes more efforts resources and planning to meet the house needs of every society. In urban centres, provision of recent and affordable accommodation has continued to test the competence of the administrators.
Sheltr has been Universally accepted as the second most important essential human need after food. Housing in all ramifications is more than mere shelter since it embraces all the social services and utilities that go to make a community or neighbourhood a livable environment. Infact, man has been in their need of this essential commodity for his well being even the primitive men could not do without the caves, which provided shelter to them. Indeed, housing is a veritable index of measuring the social economic and technological development of a nation, “show me the quality of your people’s house and I will tell what kind of nation you are” could aptly become a maxim.
The simple refuse affording privacy and protection against the elements is beyond the reach of most members of human race.
In attempt to lessen the housing burden on the populace, various governments in Nigeria at one time to other adopted housing programmes. The policies are directed toward the production and management of climatically, socially and economically suitable housing at an affordable price.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The research was carried out to know the role of government in solving housing problems in Anambra state.
The research opts for the Anambra state housing development corporation as a good case study to review the success of housing for all by the government.
Awka South Local Government Area (LGA) is made up of eight towns, namely Okpuno, Amawbia, Awka, Ezinato, Isiagu, Mbaukwu, Nibo, Nise and Umuawulu.
Awka is the capital of Anambra state and the seat of the government: it is accessible by road form all parts of eastem region states. Nise have notable infrastructure like WAEC (West Africa examination Council) state head office and St. Paul Univeristy College situated there.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Housing is recognized in the world wide as one of the basic necessities of life. As every normal adult is expected to have a house both for himself and his family, but due to economic hardship being experience in the country, this basic necessity of life no longer affordably by greater majority of Nigerians various housing policies and programmes have always been partial if not a failure. It is in this context that the research has decide to carry out a survey work on the role of government in solving housing problem.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
Due to the fapid hazardous growth of Anambra state as a result of rapidly growing population, over crowding, environmental condition and the phenomenal changes in economic political and social condition, pose obvious challenges can termed to be as follows.
1. The provision of accommodation facilities for the teeming and ever increasing population of the state and it’s environment for commercial and residential purpose.
2. To acquire develop hold, manage, sell, loose or let any property moveable within the state.
3. Housing the homeless people of the state and providing more reasonable alternatives for those hither ot or presently poorly accommodated.
The establishment of a home-ownership saving scheme in respect of any housing estate or building owned, constituted and managed by the corporation. The above mentioned in the aim of every succession government in the state, since the inception of the corporation.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the role of our government in solving housing problems in Anambra state can be summarized as:
1. To highlight the role of housing in our society vis-à-vis the problem suffered form shortage and problems of housing provision.
2. To analyze the various ways which the government had used and are still using in the provision of housing for the teeming population in Anambra state thereby examining the historical development of government policy in the area of housing.
3. To examine critically and analyze the actual problems which are militating against housing production in Anambra state, including focus on their sources of finance and budget allocations.
4. To suggest recommendation to the problems. In big cities, like Awka, Onitsha, Enugu, Port-Harcourt, Lagos, etc because of the high influx of people to those cities and the existing housing stock not being able to cope with the increasing population, house rents have been so high, so also land prices and many