the teacher as a facilitator of critical and creative thinking in a community of inquiry
This study exposes the concept of facilitator and the need to go beyond teaching and learner centred while in the classroom. This exercise begins with chapter one which dealt on the overall introduction or background of the study, statement of the problem which led to the research study, the objectives of the study and the significance of the study. Chapter two reviewed related literature. Chapter three focuses on the exposition of problems. Chapter four was all about the application of COI in Nigerian system of education, politics, governance and economy. Chapter five summarizes the findings through conclusions, educational implications, recommendations, limitations and suggestions for further studies. There is also reference.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page - - - - - - - - - i
Approval page - - - - - - - - ii
Abstract - - - - - - - - - iii
Table of contents - - - - - - - vi
1.0 Introduction - - - - - - - 1
1.1 Background of the study - - - - - 1
1.2 Statement of the problems - - - - - 2
1.3 Research questions - - - - - - 4
1.4 Purpose of the study - - - - - - 4
1.5 Significance of the study - - - - - - 5
2.0 Review of related literature - - - - - 7
2.1 Meaning of Andragogy - - - - - 7
2.2 Comparison of pedagogy and andragogy - - 9
2.3 Philosophy for children - - - - - 23
2.4 Community of inquiry philosophy fro children - 27
3.0 Expose of the study - - - - - - 45
3.1 Problems with education reforms in Nigeria - 45
3.2 Contemporary Educational issues in Nigeria - 51
3.3 Problem of teaching methodology - - - 52
4.0 Implication of the study - - - - - 55
4.1 Community of inquiry method education is andragogy 55
4.2 Andragogical Community of Inquiry is Dialogue 59
4.3 Facilitators Role in the andragogical community of inquiry environment - - - - - 60
5.0 Conclusion - - - - - - - 64
5.1 Main findings - - - - - - - 64
5.2 Recommendation - - - - - - - 65
5.4 Limitation of the study - - - - - 68
5.5 Suggestion for further studies - - - - - 68
References - - - - - - - - 69
1.1 BACKGROND OF THE STUDY
There are two major groups of curriculum thinkers who influence the use of these philosophies they are the traditionalist curriculum thinkers and the progressive curriculum thinkers.
The traditionalists' philosophy of education is based on the notion that education is a product or item that could be transplanted or transmitted from the teacher to the learner/child regardless of the latter's interest, inspiration or inclinations while the progressives ideology or philosophy
The Andragogical method of teaching is child- centered method, that emphasizes experiences and knowledge. The focal point of activity in the Andragogical method of education is the child. The Andragogist is like a mid- wife who helps the expectant mother and the unborn baby to ensure and achieve safe delivery. The mid-wife will do everything within her limit to assist the pregnant woman but could not assume the position of the woman nor take her place, she will advise, encourage and motivate her into action but cannot do the action by herself. She could protect the privacy of the woman. to make her comfortable and shy free to open up herself for the task before them. She can prevent men from entering into the maternity room where the delivery takes place.
Andragogy is derived from the Greek word ‘Andros’ meaning man, implying composite, or a complex whole. It connotes the same meaning as in anthrops, meaning human being/ man. Anih, S (1997), This is derived from the Greek word "Andro" meaning man, implying composite or a complex whole. When it is used as an object as man, man-oriented, or man-centered, man headed. From this Greek word "andro' we arrive at the word "andragogy" which means the study of the peculiar branch of wisdom which deals with the functions peculiar to man centered study. It does mean that when education is referred to as totality of man as a composite study and who is to be respected fully as man in all its various stages of growth. Then we have got a man at the center of education.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM.
Nigeria's education· curriculum negates and neglects those for whom it was meant to serve.
2. Nigeria's educational system is pedagogical by design and dysfunctional in practice.
3. Nigeria's educational system suffers functional stagnation.
4. There is an overwhelming evidence of lowering of standards
5. That .majority of Nigerian students now resort to examination malpractices and other forms of ethical practices in order to pass examinations.
6. The litany of frustrations faced by the young school leavers in Nigeria are seen through the activities they engage in as soon as they left school.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. In view of the conventionality of pedagogical method of education in Nigeria, How much is the andragogical method known in Nigeria?
2. Is the educational method in practice mandatory or optional?
3. Which among the two educational slants stands to benefit the people more?
4. Which of the two will enhance teaching / learning programmes?
5. What advantages do Andragogy has over pedagogy and vice versa considering the cost effectiveness and intensiveness of the two in terms of time, money, and space?
1.4 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
1. This research work hopes to look into the causes of academic in Nigerian schools.
2. It will look into the problems of education in the Nigeria.
3. It critically compares pedagogical and andragogical methods of education in Nigeria.
4. It makes recommendations and solutions to the problems.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The importance of this research work cannot be overemphasized because it will help to address the following educational problems.
1. It will address the problem of lack of interest on the part of students and high rate of school dropout.
2. It will address the problems associated with teacher-centeredness as is evident in our education curriculum.
3. It will address the problem of over-reliance on conventionality and tradition in our educational system.
4. It will address the problem of lack of motivation for the students and teachers in our schools.
5. It will expose the problems associated with pedagogical method of education.
6. It will help to open the eyes of our people to know about other alternative to teaching / learning procedure.
7. The study will expose Nigerians to the gains of Andragogical community of inquiry method of education.